Old January 7th 04, 12:44 AM
AndyM

Default Do you forget how to Ski??

Turan Fettahoglu wrote:
My question is do you ever forget how to ski

The wise choice would be for you, having only a week 7 years ago, would be
to spend a couple of days in ski school before heading out with your

mates.

A lot of skiing is "remembered" but the question is whether you have

enough

experience that can be "remembered".

S. Gione is right, take some skiing lessons to brush up your skiing skills.
One more thing: skis have become better in the past years. I replaced my
very old skis with carving skis - and it did make a great difference.

Rent a pair of new skis, do some training for a day or two - and enjoy the
rest of your stay.

I don't think you forget how to ski, but remembering may take time depending on the equipment you
are lumped with.

My second week took 4 days to get to where I was on the last day of my first time on skis. I've
always ended up with rented 185-190 non-carve planks, and the first day or so each time felt like a
nightmare trying to turn them. By the Wednesday, there were definitely muscles I never knew I had!!!

Last yr I got (newish) 175 carvers for the first time, and was back to normal by then end of the
first warmup run. I've never been able to turn so easily, handle the bumps, and link so many turns.

I don't know what it is, but in Lech I was advised I was not expert enough for carve skis for my
4th/5th week on snow, but in Les Gets they were dishing out carvers to newbies.

If all the others are advanced, and you are the only beginner, then take some refresher lessons.
But saying that, I believe that skiing with one/two better skiers helps you to improve.
--
AndyM