Old February 12th 04, 06:56 AM
Nigel

Default Buying gear in US

I was in Colorado Springs & Denver in Novemember and picked up a load
of gear from these two retailers . These two massive stores can be found
on most Shopping Mall Parks out west

http://www.gartsports.com
http://www.galyans.com/

They had shed loads of gear on sale & from my experience on previous
visits you can allways ask the manager for a deal . Anyway on the
clothing front the quality & value of gear in the US is far superior to
whats available in Europe. Strange really because it all made in the
same fareast sweatshops .

Nigel

Plake wrote:
I'm going to Utah for 2wks in March and want to take advantage of the
USD/GBP exchange rate by buying new ski & board gear:

Rossignol B2/Fritschi Diamir £519 at Snow+Rock, £397 at rei.com
K2 Recon/Salomon SP3/Salomon Dialogue £664 at Snow+Rock, £355 at
rei.com!

So I have a couple of questions:

1) I suspect the US stores are pressurised by the European
manufacturers not to sell gear to Europeans. Is this true, and will
paying cash at the store help?

2) If I declare the stuff at customs when I bring it back to the UK,
what will the import duty cost?

3) If I don't declare it, what are the chances of being caught? And
what happens if you are?

Al