Old January 9th 04, 03:00 PM
MoonMan

Default word of warning

Ian Spare wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
Ian Spare wrote:

Nigel (Remove NOSPAM) wrote:

What's the rush ? What's it matter if it takes 15hrs on the road
rather than 10, take it easy & you wont have to worry . :-)

Quite. We were passed by a whole stream of English and Dutch cars
between Cluses and Geneva on Saturday doing speeds around, I would
guess, 180kph. We wondered how many of the English cars would make
it to Calais without passing a camera.

You forgot the belgians and the (one that I noticed) germans. I
doubt my

Not really, it was UK and Dutch plates I saw. Some Dutch are pretty
bad for this, they tear across Switzerland at 160kph as well even
though it's a 120 limit and then carry on into Germany where they
become slow traffic until they reach the restricted sections at 130
which they proceed to ignore. It's especially annoying if you've just
managed to pass 8 Dutch cars doing 160kph in the outside line only to
find them steaming past you 2 minutes later in a restricted section.
The Belgians do the same but aren't quite as bad.

freelander td4 with four passengers and a roof box could get to
180kph, at least without a long runup and no traffic in the way,
which didn't happen on saturday the 3rd.

It was pretty quiet at 3 in the afternoon but I'm sure it was pretty
busy in the morning.

I was coming home, left Les 2 Alpes about 8:15, got to Calais about 19:45,
it was busy for an autoroute, but not like the M25 the only real problem
we had was caused by an accident at Rheims, 7k of slo moving trafic before
the peage, the road reports for traffic going to the resorts sounded
horrific though.
first time i've seen most of France covered in snow.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk