Old November 13th 03, 09:01 AM
Jeremy Mortimer

Default SNCF March Tickets to the Alps

"Michael MacClancy" wrote in
:

Isn't this where we came in? I submit that "Alpes" is slightly
commonly used in English (there is proof of this at the beginning of
this thread). Or are we to be told off for referring to Lyon?

Heehee. You may be right, I may be wrong but I don't think that
'Alpes' is even slightly commonly used in English except for Les Deux
Alpes. And, looking at the spellings again, Lyon and Marseille seem
distinctly odd when written in English.

That's because you live in the UK (I assume). I live in Geneva, and the
French spelling seems much more natural to me. It's just a question of
familiarity.

There's also confusion between languages. I don't know if this happens with
people who work in German (Simon?) but I continually muddle French and
English words when I speak or write, since I work partly in French. I could
quite easily write "Alpes" by accident in English.

It's all communication, anyway - there's no point in getting worked up
about how people choose to express themselves. And this is Usenet - there
are far worse abuses of English anywhere you look.

L8r :-)

Jeremy