Old October 7th 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

Default Waxing workbench--camera commets

In article ,
downhill wrote:

I'm kidding, that looks super cool. In order to get "accurate" G force
information do you think it matters where and how you affix to your body?

Yes it matters, in the karts we get a higher g-force reading when the
accelerometer is placed under the faring verses the on the floor.
The recommended place is in the center of gravity and lowest in the car
as possible. One car I run the logging unit with the axis swapped
because in that formula car it interferes with him sitting. In the
software setup I swap the x and y axis. Since you build track maps based
on speed and lateral g-force it looks pretty funny when it shows a curve
on a straight section of the track or braking after a turn. Spend much
of my times chasing variable names as the two major data acquisition
suppliers Pi & motec are from UK and DownUnder are very creative in the
choice of variable names.

In the context of G force accuracy the amount of knowledge gleamed from
the process depends on your method of analysis, if you just look for big
numbers you might be disappointed seems often that trends become more
useful. Or it could turn out all crap because it is a 3 axis
accelerometer and in most automobile cases the z axis is not present to
any degree, but in ski racing the z axis is very present and a component
of your speed

I don't pretend to know anything about this, but I wonder how much the
skilled skier would "dampen" (and I use the word "dampen" casually) the
forces in the upper body vs at the ski.