Old January 26th 05, 05:50 PM
JQ

(snip)

It was wild. Conditioning has a lot to do with it. Also, he's young
enough to take the harder falls better than those of us who are a tad
older.

I'm in decent shape. I've been in better shape; I could stand to lose
10 pounds, and I'm working on that. Getting a better job with more same
hours will help as well.

I used to run distance races. I've ran a couple marathons and a whole
mess of halfs. There was a fine line between getting the right amount
of training and conditioning and over training where injuries sort of
seek you out. If you'll notice, a lot of professional athletes haven't
found that line.

As to my injury, I must have torn (or extremely bruised) a muscle next
to my rib cage. Don't worry; it only hurts when I breathe, laugh, move.

Martha

I too was a middle distance runner on a national level. Back in the day
when I was a runner the theme was, "pain made you stronger" so we trained as
hard as we could through injury and all. I had two knee operations on each
knee and now I am a candidate for total knee replacements. I ski in pain
with knee braces and cannot do anything that is over low impact.

But to the real reason I am replying, Martha from your description of your
injury you may have fractured a rib. It is probably a hair line fracture
and there isn't much you can do for it. At one time they used to put a wrap
around the chest to help keep it compressed but that lead to pneumonia, so
now the treatment is take Tylenol for pain relief. You will need to breathe
deeply as this will help keep you from developing fluid build up in the
lungs causing pneumonia.

JQ
Dancing on the edge