Old November 10th 03, 03:38 PM
Steve Haigh

Default Ski Trip from hell!

I'm sure there are fancy expensive brands and cheaper non-branded types,
I don't know the difference and so I just go for the cheapest in the
shop, BUT always go for the type that can be fitted without moving the
car - they go by various names but it should be clear from the box that
they can go on without moving the car. They have a fairly stiff cable
loop which you un-clip, feed around the back of the wheel end then
rejoin the ends. The chains then hook up around the front of the wheel
where you can see them, and there is a pulley and ratchet to tighten them.

It all sounds very complicated but it really isn't. There is a nice
animation of what I mean at

http://www.snowchainwarehouse.co.uk/rud_snow_chains_fitting/rud_compact_grip_snow_chains.htm

I have never bought them in the UK before, I've only ever bought them on
the way down in a Hypermarche, never had any difficulty finding them and
I think they are a fair bit cheaper. There are also a lot on eBay so you
may pick up a bargain there [I just did!]. If you have very low
clearance or very wide / large tyres yo may want to get them before you
go as they could be harder to find.

Steve

helloblondie wrote:
Thx steve, the family will be fine when they get over the fact we're not
going to whistler this year.
I guess lots of people do drive so thx 4 the advice, i'm definitely getting
snow chains but which?
Bash

"Steve Haigh" wrote in message

helloblondie wrote:

Hi all

Taking family skiing this yr. Looking forward except 4 trip - i decided

drive! I enjoy driving so it seemed like a good idea at time. Now i am
wondering a) r my young family up 2 it ? b) can i cope with the

inevitable

quarrelling and crying (me!) and c) can my 2 wheel drive car cope? time

will

tell.

Anyone have some good, useful tips on how to survive a 1k Km road trip

from

Kingston, SW London to Meribel, France with 2 children who love each

others

company provide its for no longer than 5 mins, a wife who gets travel

sick

looking at a car and in a car which coped badly with a little London

snow

last year.

Seriously though any seasoned alpine nomads with advice on taking family
skiing, pass on some of ur (positive) experiences plz.

Bash

Can't help you with the family or the travel sickness, but I can
reassure you that 2 wheel drive is fine. You'll need snow chains, but in
my experience in many different cars and vans you can get up any road
that is open provided you have chains and just take your time. The
biggest problem is the gits without chains who may get in your way.