Old October 25th 16, 03:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Default Necessary to get new bindings checked?

On 9/24/2016 11:28 AM, Toller wrote:
I just bought a Volkl 81ATM. The binding just slide on and fasten with a screw (though they don't give instructions, to try and stop you from doing it...).

Is it necessary to get them checked, or can you assume new binding are accurate? The charts say to set them at 6, but I always use 5 and find it works fine; so I have a little margin of safety if they are off a bit. If they are too low I guess I will find out quickly enough.

I don't mind the $20, but no one around here does it.

Get 'em checked. The important thing is not the DIN so much as the
forward pressure and the release torque. Shops have a way to measure
these, most people don't.

If the forward pressure is incorrect, then the DIN setting won't matter,
you're either coming out or staying in no matter what.

Once the forward pressure is set, then the DIN setting *should* mean
that the binding releases at the designated amount of torque, but the
only way to be sure is to test it with a torque wrench (or one of those
fancy machines they have now)

All that said, your bones, your call.

While I am on the subject, the bindings say they have "triple pivot elite" toes but don't say anywhere what the triple means. Do they also open if you fall straight back? Pretty sure I've never done that, but maybe some day.

Triple is better than double, which is better than single. Next season
look for "quadruple extra pivot elite plus" from the marketing droids.

--
//Walt