Old July 6th 16, 02:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

Default Jeopardy gets slope degree/percent wrong

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 9:18:32 AM UTC-6, Richard Henry wrote:
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 5:56:39 AM UTC-7, pigo wrote:
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 12:52:52 AM UTC-6, Richard Henry wrote:
I recall discussions here long ago about the difference between slope angle measurements in degrees and percent. Tonight on Jeopardy in the combination of a clue and correct response, they said Talladega race course turns are banked at a maximum of 33 percent. According to NASCAR, the steeper curves are banked at 33 degrees, or about 65 percent.

I remember the original topic. If I remember correctly it had more to do with blowhards than anything else. But this is RSA so.........oh well.

But what is 100%? Is a horizontal line 0 and the vertical of a 90 deg. 100%? "per cent" of what? 360? Never gave it much though. I remember a section of "the peak" at Park City that was supposed to be 54 deg.(?). It seemed straight down.

It is 100% when the amount of rise (or fall, in the case of skiing) is the same as the amount moved forward. The angle where that happens is 45 degrees. There are very few ski slopes that approach that steepness because snow generally won't stay on it.

The mathematical formula is 100 * tan(angle) -- the tangent of the angle multiplied by 100 to convert to percent.

In my world that's a 12/12 pitched roof. Anything over an 8 needed to have stickers nailed down to walk on without sliding off. And 8 was scary. Kinda depended on the distance from the edge of the roof to the ground.

I think that the rock structure and wind were enough to hold the snow on 51/50. I don't think I ever skied it when it was not unbreakable windblown. *Soft* but you weren't going to break through it.