Old May 18th 16, 03:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Jay and Burke in trouble?

On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 7:45:40 AM UTC-7, lal_truckee wrote:
On 5/17/16 7:11 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
Burke Mountain Academy, the private high school near the base of Burke Mt ski area, is apparently confident that Burke will re-open next season. They have announced plans to build an indoor training facility on their campus.

http://burkemtnacademy.org/burke-mou...ning-facility/

Used to be a school would have a gym, and maybe a weight room; now it's
got to be an "indoor training facility" undoubtedly maintained by a
custodial engineer.

When I was in high school, we had Gym twice a week. When I went to college, it was Phys Ed. My kids in high school took Exercise Science.

My official college transcript from SDSU shows a 1-hour A for Beginning Volleyball, a course I never took. I assume it was incorrectly assigned to my record - that was in the days when computers were just starting to mess up our lives. I hope some kid didn't have trouble graduating because he was missing that credit.

My second son, who played D1 soccer at UC Davis for 4 years, spent 20-30 hours of effort every week in the Fall Quarter (and for a month before classes started) for which he got one 3-hour Varsity Sport credit his Freshman year (he got an A). He also got an A in a 1-hour class in NCAA regulations, and in the Winter Quarter got an A in Indoor Soccer (taught by his Varsity Coach).

Getting back to ob-skiing, when I was a student at Littleton (NH) High School, the off-season training regimen for members of the Ski Team was football in the fall and baseball in the spring.