Old January 27th 04, 08:23 PM
George Cleveland

Default next ski set for 6 year old

On 25 Jan 2004 21:30:35 GMT, (Starskyfamily) wrote:

got my 6 year old daughter out today on the beginner skis that strap to kids
boots, she is a natural, skiied without poles, even got some glide, good
balance. Any suggestions on a next step for ski equipment for her?? Thanks,
Andy

My kids have both been skiing since they were less than 2. They graduated
from the snow boot set ups as soon as they could fit into regular ski
boots. With the first I tried waxable skis and found that they were hard to
wax so they worked with enough consistency for a small persons inconsistent
technique. So we bought a used pair of waxless and with good glide waxing
on the tip and tails and maxi gliding the pattern they were fast enough to
keep up with us on most downhills and gave rock solid kick in a variety of
conditions. This is referring to classical technigue obviously. If they
were skating it would be a different matter. But we were happy to let our
first child classic until he was 10 or so and then introduced him to
skating. I think the years of experience he had on classic skis helped him
pick up freestyle very rapidly. YMMV of course.

g.c.