Old December 3rd 03, 02:38 AM
Mike T

Default Donek Wide too "fast" a board for me?

My question: I've had my eye on a Donek Wide 161 for a while. I'm
5"10, 175 with size 10 (sometimes 10.5) feet. I figured the 161 would
float me better in pow, even if I could get away with an Incline. I'd
be going from a very noodly board to a super stiff board. Will it be
the wrong board for what I want to do? Will it still be fun to ride
more slowly? I don't want a board mismatch.

I've got a Wide 161 and my 1st board was a Supermodel 168, so I can
offer as close to a direct comparison as you are likely to get. (The
Supermodel 168 was made for the same weight range as the 162, btw).

The Supermodel excels at powder riding for lighter riders, and slow
carving on groomers for heavier riders. At 175 pounds, you're in the
"heavier" range for the 162. So if your goal is to make slow, short
radius carves your Supermodel might be about the best choice there is.

But...

Keep in mind that Supermodels are not particularly stable boards
especially when you put someone your size on them. I was about 210
when I got my 168, and have ridden it at weights all the way down to
about 175. Anywhere in that range, uneven terrain made it difficult to
maintain stability. This is one of the areas where a Donek excels -
stability. It cuts through uneven terrain as well as or better than
anything else I've ridden. And this stability leads to a comfort zone
that includes higher speeds. Which, in light of your recent injury,
might be just the ticket - rather than slowing down, make it so that you
are more sure-footed at any speed.

My Wide is just as fun as my Supermodel was at lower speeds - turning it
hard at lower speeds requires you put a little more energy into it, but
its still fun.

BTW I did own the two boards concurrently for two seasons - I actually
just got rid of the Supermodel over the summer.

So overall I think you should not shy away from the Donek just because
it is a "faster" board. It's you, not the board who ultimately
determines speed. The faster base will help you on the flats, the
higher stability will hopefully help you keep from injuring yourself
again.

FWIW my wife dislocated a shoulder in mid-season three seasons ago.
She was riding again after four weeks (probably pushing it) and did
fine. I recommend strengthening your shoulders as much as you can, it
will help make future crashes less injuring!

Mike T