Old January 18th 05, 10:15 PM
Jay Levitt

In article ,
says...
I see from your sig that you are in Wellesley. I have a simple
recommendation. Call Bob Smith's Wilderness House in Brookline and ask
for an appointment with Gordon Hay. He is their bootfitter, and he is
excellent. He does bootfitting for local college ski teams (Harvard
and MIT, I believe). His knowledge of anatomy and foot mechanics is
unsurpassed. He also works with a local sports podiatrist, Rick
Cullen, who does podiatry for the Boston Celtics.

Cool.. I will check that out. I need to stop back there and return a
pair of gloves, actually - I went in looking for mittens, and the
salesman talked me into gloves because they were "just as warm" and
"more flexible for pole work". Hah. After picking my shattered fingers
back up off the ground and reattaching with snow, I now know I was right
in the first place.

Gordon can make you a real custom footbed, for starters. You
shouldn't pay attention to people who tell you not to get a custom
footbed - they're probably telling you that because they can't make
them! A custom footbed will run you $100 or so, but it's worth it.

They do provide custom footbeds at that shop, so it wasn't a matter of
downplaying their deficiencies; it's just that neither tech really felt
they were right for my problem. Doesn't mean they were right, though!

I bet it's also worse when the weather's warm, right?

Not sure.. at this point I've been skiing 7 days total in my life, and
just 3 with problems. Yesterday was really cold, though, and it didn't
seem any better, so I'm going to say "no".

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | Hi!