Old December 9th 04, 02:50 AM

gr wrote:
Here is an answer about warm gloves (without the long thread of chit

chat);
1) Mittens or lobster claws definitely help keep the fingers warmer.
Some of these are rather porous and let the wind through, so they are

be avoided.
2) Layers are good for the hands also! A very thin silk liner glove
inside a mitten will work wonders. Just like the rest of the body ,

it's
all about keeping the skin dry, and the hands can perspire quite a

bit.
On colder days, thin wool gloves (I use Smartwool) as liners work

even
better. I sometimes wear all 3 layers.
3) Just a note on feet; a coolmax liner sock, or other wicking sock

is
essential to warm feet.
gr

I agree with the mittens with layers. I was at Whistler when it was
very cold and my hands were freezing despite having good gloves. I
purchased some mittens and they outperformed my gloves noticebly. I
then hit another cold period (I think ten below was the warmest it got)
in Big Sky and it was mittens all week.

Fred