Old August 28th 03, 07:33 PM
Jim Hutton

Default Checking boot size?

"Greg Hilton" wrote in message
Any tips for checking boot size?

**embarassing story follows**

I've recently wondered if my ski boots are too big or not. For years I

have
been buying shoes too big, I measure a 9 now and had been buying size

10/11
shoes for years. My boots are a 9.5.

I did the shell test and seem to remember a fair gap behind my heel when
the toes were touching the front of the shell.

Is there any other tests I can do?

regards,

greg

Snag is that different brands are different shapes inside, which means that
the same size boots of two different brands might be 'different' sizes as
far as your feet are concerned.

IMHO ski boots should be as tight as possible all round without hurting -
which means you MUST be sure you and the maker have the same shape foot in
mind. eg I find almost ALL Nordica boots are fine, but Salomon crucify me.
My son swears by Raichle. So my tip is to find the boot brand which fits
you.

If you have no ideas at all, the best is probably to hire boots for a day or
two - then you can try different makes & sizes. Trouble is that the 'hire'
range is not always (a) up to date or (b) in good condition (inners worn,
etc).

HTH.

Jim Hutton