Old January 18th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

Default Stupid helmet question ...

"Pip Luscher" wrote in
message ...
| On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:06:10 -0000, "MoonMan"
| wrote:
|
| I don't understand this "reckless behavior to compensate for feeling
safer"
| idea, why should a helmet make you feel safer? I am just as loath to
hit the
| ground wether I have my helmet (or other padding/protection for that
matter)
| on or not. I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm about to hit
the
| ground I don't have time to think about what I'm wearing.
|
| ISTR that it's called "risk compensation" and I'm very aware of it
| when riding a motorbike. If I'm wearing full leathers as opposed to,
| say, jacket and jeans, I ride a lot faster (for relative values of
| fast), especially round corners.

Doesn't apply across the board though. If you're brought up to wear a
helmet as a child, it's just *what you do*. If 'risk compensation' is
the main reason in some cases for people deciding not to wear a helmet,
all the more reason for those who have kids to ensure they wear them
from the start, then this phenomenon won't happen.

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com