Old January 17th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Pip Luscher

Default Stupid helmet question ...

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:06:10 -0000, "MoonMan"
wrote:

I don't understand this "reckless behavior to compensate for feeling safer"
idea, why should a helmet make you feel safer? I am just as loath to hit the
ground wether I have my helmet (or other padding/protection for that matter)
on or not. I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm about to hit the
ground I don't have time to think about what I'm wearing.

ISTR that it's called "risk compensation" and I'm very aware of it
when riding a motorbike. If I'm wearing full leathers as opposed to,
say, jacket and jeans, I ride a lot faster (for relative values of
fast), especially round corners.

I did *once* take a helmet on a skiing trip, and that was last year
when I also took a back protector because I wanted to go boarding in a
snow park. The reason I took this kit was to deliberately increase my
confidence in my first very cautious attempt in a half-pipe.

It worked, slightly.

--
-Pip