Old March 11th 04, 07:45 PM
funkraum

Default Distance of the 3 Vallees Route

Ace wrote:
wrote:

I suppose if I was conducting some friends around a resort and wished
to make certain of not taking a wrong turning, then a GPS system might
be useful.

It's what we do, and I can't even beging to imagine the ridicule that
would be (rightly) directed at us if a Ski Club rep felt the need for
a GPS to get round on-piste.

Agreed. But most useful in my case for the sort of trip when one
-thinks- one knows where one is going. I do not become lost if I (a)
totally unfamiliar or (c) Can navigate through the area with my eyes
closed.

I have a seldom-used GPS which was bought mainly for sailing[1] and
cycling. For the latter it's very useful as a constantly moving,
adjustable-scale map, removing the need to change and refold paper
ones, as well as being easier to mount.

Best to buy a car then you can leave the map on the passenger seat.
More comfortable in the rain, etc. Recommended.

[1] Even then, I felt it was cheating, as I was taught how to navigate
properly 25+ years ago.

The number of people who think GPS -is- navigation rather than just a
way of checking you are correct make for some great Darwin-award type
stories, however.