Old October 3rd 03, 11:31 AM
Steve

Default Innsbruck Mountains (and bars)

"Gary Looft" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hi. I'm heading to Innsbruck in January 2004. I know that there's five
resorts surrounding Innsbruck. What I'd like to know is which are
worth going to. Stubai Glacier appears to be the highest/largest and
most varied so we will definitely be going there. What is good, what
is not? Also, I read that you can arrange a day bus trip to Kitzbuhel
or St Anton. Which one would you recommend?

We are staying at the Hotel Tautermann, about a 5 minute walk from old
town. We prefer bars and not dance clubs. Does anyone know of some
good bars in the area?

Tobogganing. Night-time drunken tobogganing sounds like fun. Has
anyone done this in the Innsbruck area? Where? Tell me about it.

I believe Gary is referring to the various ski passes available, some of
which offer a "free" day in Kitz or St Anton....

Given the choice I would plump for St Anton for reasons of accessibility. As
far as I remember, there is also a complimentary transfer included (bus
picks up at various spots and takes people to a central place where they
board the main bus). You can indeed go by train but it's not included and
you still have to get to Innsbruck railway station and from St Anton station
to the lifts (probably 10 minutes in ski boots).

As others have said, there are a fair few good bars around Innsbruck,
depends what you like, but it is a nursing and university town so it's
fairly lively. There are local papers which will give you an idea of what's
on during the time you are there.

Night-time tobogganing: you'll scare yourself silly on some of the runs that
locals do, and I wouldn't necessarily get too hammered before doing it if
the ice is fast. A couple that are well-known are Maria Waldrast (near the
entrance to the Stubai) and the one above Götzens (which is a blast - you
get taken up by tractor crammed in a trailer and the run is unlit and long
with fabulous views down onto the city below).

You may also want to try the bob run above Innsbruck at Igls (only lasts
seconds but pure adrenaline). Try to avoid the tour company times and days
if possible as it can get way overcrowded and tense.

--
Steve
http://www.skiseefeld.com/