Old April 6th 04, 08:26 PM
toddjb

Default trip to Vail - looking for advice

(Chet Hayes) wrote in message . com...
If you want to spend your entire time at Vail, you can probably do ok
without a car. But, are you sure you want to spend 100% of your time
at Vail? When I go out, I stay in Frisco, which is about 40 mins east
of Vail and a lot less expensive. From there, you have many world
class choices: Breckenridge 10min, Copper Mtn 10Min, Vail 40Min,
A-Basin (which has the longest season) 5Mins, etc. I like the variety
and while they are all great resorts, I prefer Breck or Copper over
Vail.

If you want to look into it, I recommend the Holiday Inn, Frisco.

I concur. Vail is a great mountain despite what people may say (who I think
are more turned away by the prices or some of the crowd it attracts). But,
when you're chasing back bowls and steeps you don't run into much of that
ritzy crowd you probably choose to avoid.

Anyway, that said, I didn't read how long you're staying but spend a couple
days a Vail which you'll need just to even try to see it all, but definitely
hit some of the other great resorts in the area.

Consider staying at Keystone. Centrally located and they usually have some
great spring specials this time of year. A car would be more convenient,
but they do have shuttles running to different resorts. A Keystone stay
would probably include a few days of free ski passes (or in the bundle)
and the Keystone passes are good at multiple resorts including a day
at Vail.

I'd sleep in Keystone, but I wouldn't ski there. That place has awful
spring conditions every time I made the mistake of trying it. May be
fine in season but you'll spend half your spring day getting to soft
snow and in the process board over awful ice, granular chunks and rock
hard corduroy.

If you stay in Keystone, go to The Goat. Great bar. Soup & Whiskey!

Hope this helps...

-todd