Old November 14th 03, 02:23 PM

Default Mount Bindings

Mount-your-own?

Along with the recommendations already posted here ...

Assuming the bindings were correctly mounted before, it would not be too
difficult to make a template off the old skis, and transfer that drilling
pattern to the new skis.

Tooling you'll need --

* drill press
* clamp equipment to hold ski rigidly in place on drill press
* correct size drill bits
* correct size taps
* correct size NEW mounting hardware

plus misc. stuff like maybe a transfer punch set to make a sample template
to compare to the old skis, misc. adhesives and shop chemicals, etc. etc.

Oh, and a way to limit the depth of the drilled hole. Some drill presses
have an attachment for this; if you use it you'll also need a depth gauge
to verify the hole depth.

Wait, I forgot, your taps have to be bottoming taps, or otherwise the screws
will enlarge the bottom of the hole and distort the topskin, forcing the
bindings up from the topskin and jeopardizing their action and/or causing
them to fall off ...

Wait, I forgot, the necessary skills are not rocket science but you DO need
to know how to operate the machinery AND make accurate measurements and markings
-- did I mention enough squares and straightedges to ensure that the bindings
are parallel to the centerline of the skis? A yardstick is not sufficient,
but a 36" steel machinist's rule is a good start. You'll also need a machinist's
scale to verify hole positions before you start drilling...

Since I already have most of the tooling, I'd risk mounting my own bindings
if the new skis AND bindings were free or next-to-free, AND if I didn't have
anything better to do. I'm guessing it'd take me a few hours to do.

And that doesn't include the maintenance on my existing tooling investment,
or the new stuff I'd need to buy, which would push my out-of-pocket cost
close to $50.

In short, mounting bindings is well within the realm of something that you
could do in your basement or garage shop, assuming you had the tooling and
training, but most people choose to farm out this little bit of work because
it's just not cost-effective to do it at home.

The up-side? If you mount your own and something goes wrong, it's easy to
beat up the last ski tuner who worked on your sticks. I have a little story
about a ski patroller who caught me readjusting my bindings at the top of
the lift ...