Old April 6th 04, 01:27 PM
og

Default trip to Vail - looking for advice

Rent a car. It's cheap and convenient. I stayed in Leadville last spring
in the Super 8. $40 a night.

For spring riding try Beaver Creek right down the road.
That place is great!

"Sharkie" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

we're heading out to Vail for the somewhat extended April 15th
weekend.
We've been there before during summer and by car, but this is our
first trip there during winter, and this time we're flying in.

Since we already paid quite a lot for tickets and lodging, I'd like to
keep the rest of expenses to the minimum (within reason). So before
I'm told "you shouldn't go to Vail then" I have a few questions.

I've done some homework, read some info from various sites, I found
this
one: http://www.econovail.com/ to be particularly useful. However a
few
things are still unclear:

1) we'll be flying in to Eagle County airport. What is the best way to
get into Vail from there, and then from Vail back into airport?
I understand there's a bus
(http://www.eagle-county.com/bus_schedules.cfm)
but it seems like it won't fit our schedule.

2) will we need a car? I've heard several, and sometimes conflicting,
information about the Vail shuttle system. How good/convenient is it?
We don't have to go to other resorts.

3) I'm thinking of taking the "Meet the Mountain: welcome tour". Is it
worth
taking? We're very good riders, just not familiar with this area.

4) Food: I'm not interested in the gourmet stuff, but not necessary
fast food
either. Any recommendations here?

5) Stuff to do when not riding/eating: thinking about seeing the ski
museum.
Any other things to see/do?

6) Riding: any advice here welcome. How are the snow conditions during
this time of year? Any places better than other (less crowds, better
snow,
etc.)? I wouldn't mind trying the trees, and some steeps. Is the pipe
still in good shape?

Thanks in advance.