View Single Post
Old February 5th 15, 04:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Colorado snowfall so far this year

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 8:30:19 PM UTC-7, Dave Stallard wrote:
On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 7:37:34 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Anyone know if the snowfall so far this year is "normal" in Summit County, CO?

According to http://bestsnow.net/, the following are percentages of normal as of Jan 31:

Breck: 104%
Copper: 114%
Keystone: 98%
Loveland: 95%

Narrative: "A-Basin opened one snowmaking run on October 17 and has been 95+% open since mid-January. Most of November was stormy in this region, so much more terrain than usual was open for Thanksgiving. There was little snow the first half of December so base depths settled to the 2 foot range. The pre-Christmas dump of up to 3 feet of dense snow pushed the base depths into the 4 foot range for very good holiday skiing at most areas. There was another 1-2 feet over the holidays. January snowfall was about half of normal, but many areas are close to average for the season due to the better earlier months."

That sounds about right. The SNOTEL gauges are not all near the resorts and are better for predicting spring runoff. Generally they are a better indicator of actual snowpack than the reports issued by the resorts but not always. The thing about the SNOTEL gauge is that it's an actual measurement and not subject to any human interpretations unlike the reports from the resorts.

What I wonder is how Breckenridge is always over 100%. I don't think I have seen them report anything under 100% in the last five years or more.

The bottom line is that skiing is really not that great in Summit County right now but the base is ok so what really matters is how much snow they got last night.
Ads