Old October 31st 03, 06:22 PM
Gary S.

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:13:32 +0000 (UTC),
bbense+rec.skiing.backcountry.Oct.31.03@telemark. slac.stanford.edu
wrote:

_ I'd encourage you to use marine epoxy, MarineTex is great
if a bit expensive. The thing to remember with Epoxy is that
"less is more", use the least amount of epoxy you can. I
generally put a q-tip sized dollop on the screw. The ski
techs in the shop will tell you that epoxy is overkill and
scare you with "melting core" stories. They generally use
a good quality waterproof wood glue. This works reasonably
well, and if you have it handy is probably just as good.
Wood glues have improved greatly over the years.

_ I've been mounting XC bindings on my own skis for 30 years
and I've never had an epoxy mount come loose or damage my ski.
It is possible to mess things up if you use too much epoxy
and epoxy is much more expensive, so I can see why shops have
switched over to wood glue.

Shops use wood glue in part because it is simpler to work with, and in
part because removing it neatly is much more possible. I've had good
success with high-end wood glue.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA