Old August 18th 04, 07:40 AM
Rich Heimlich

For the Yakima fans, does anyone see a big difference between the
Platinum Pro, Black Pro and Rocket series?

Right now I like the Black Pro products because they seem to be so
much easier to clamp on and off and unlock, etc., over the Rocket.
However, the Platinum's only benefit over the Black series is that
it's made of this Airalite material that they say is lighter and
stronger and silver. The Black 21 weighs 75 lbs while the Platimum 21
weighs 72 lbs. $70 more for 3 pounds less? No way.

The good news is I can avoid both sales tax and delivery charges as
there's a retailer that carries these in the next state over
(including Thule) and all the parts. The only problem is it's full
retail. Without tax and shipping I'm still saving over $100 so it's
probably a break-even over what I could save otherwise.

Now the big question is, 16, 18 or 21 cubic feet? This will likely be
going onto a Chrysler Town & Country LXi so the roof is fairly large
and I like the idea of having more space if needed for future trips.