Old August 18th 04, 05:13 AM
Rich Heimlich

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:48:59 -0600, AstroPax
wrote:

Box is better. More specifically, a Yakima. The bigger the better.

Both of you recommending boxes have sold me. Why a Yakima
specifically?

I can yank my Yakima "Rocket Box" in under 5 minutes, no problem.

Great news just in case it doesn't fit my way of wanting to drive. I
like OPTIONS.

Is the Rocket Box good for a mini-van? I see all these extra add-ons
that drive the price pretty high.

If you can actually ski worth a hoot, you can get into it.

Do the skis just lay in it free or are they locked in some way? I'd be
a bit concerned about them flailing back and forth during turns and
such.

For example, no salt/road grime in the bindings...very important.

Saw that in the first post and it hadn't crossed my mind. Almost
bought a rack before checking back too. Glad I did.

Also, you can lock them up...out of sight, out of mind, hidden, from
the potential criminal that is lurking around the corner.

As said in the first post, I like the idea that the burglar wouldn't
know what's in there so there's little chance of them bothering with
it while we're eating lunch.

I can put 4 pairs of skis, 4 pairs of boots, and 4 pairs of poles into
my "Rocket Box", no problem. Probably 6 pair of everything, but I've
never tried *that* much stuff.

Most of the time it'll be 3 pairs of items. Boots I hadn't even
considered! Once in a while we'll have 6 or more of us.

Of course, the boots don't go into the box until *after* the ski day,
for obvious reasons.

Doh! Yeah, I'd suspect unless I magically heated the box, that'd make
for some pretty cold starts. grin