Old August 18th 04, 04:48 AM
AstroPax

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 00:18:23 -0400, Rich Heimlich
wrote:

Guys,

I'm currently in the market for a mini-van and had thought I'd just go
pick up a Thule ski rack but then started wondering about security and
such plus whatever other issues I might not be aware of regarding the
benefits and drawbacks of a rack versus a box.

Box is better. More specifically, a Yakima. The bigger the better.

The big question I would have with a box is, is it easily removable
between trips?

I can yank my Yakima "Rocket Box" in under 5 minutes, no problem.

I wouldn't want a cargo box if it's a permanent fixture
on the vehicle. Second, how the heck are you supposed to really get to
it on a van? I guess you just open a side-door and get to it that way?

Yes. You step-up by placing a foot (or two) on the rocker-panel.

If you can actually ski worth a hoot, you can get into it.

Is a 6-pair rack good enough? I guess it would only make sense to
remove the skis from it if you're going to be gone any length of time.
I'd hate to have to worry about my skis if we stop on the road for a
lunch and come out to find no skis.

Many advantages inherent with a lockable box.

For example, no salt/road grime in the bindings...very important.

Also, you can lock them up...out of sight, out of mind, hidden, from
the potential criminal that is lurking around the corner.

Much of the main reason for looking into the van is to be able to keep
the skis out of the way on the roof. If this isn't very feasible,
reliable or safe, I'll have to re-think the whole thing.

If you can mount a box on a van, that is the way to go.

I can put 4 pairs of skis, 4 pairs of boots, and 4 pairs of poles into
my "Rocket Box", no problem. Probably 6 pair of everything, but I've
never tried *that* much stuff.

Of course, the boots don't go into the box until *after* the ski day,
for obvious reasons.

-Astro

---
X Minus Two