Old January 12th 05, 11:41 AM
john elgy

Champ wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:12:41 +0100, Ace wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:09:19 +0000, Champ wrote:

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 00:31:12 +0100, "Marinus"
wrote:

Edi wrote:

Why the difference and is there any way of comparing US and Euro
resorts on size ?

Divide the area by the average piste width and you're done.

Never go off piste, eh?

So, the off-piste is counted in a resort's quoted 'km of piste' is it?

Dunno, but a typical US lift opens up a lot of terrain, which might
only have two marked routes down it.

My experience of Canada is that every possible variation from the lift
is marked and signposted as a seperate run. We even found one in
Whistler that was only 2m long (a drop off a cornice that then rejoined
the main route). My experience of skiing in the US is very limited.

FWIW I see some value in both descriptions, but like Edi I'm
frustrated by the lack of comparibility. Just means I have to ski them
all myself :-)

Yeah, that works.