Old January 11th 05, 05:46 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Marinus :
No way!
If you divide an area (m^2) with a width (m) you get a length (m). Meter is
quite meaningfull here on this side of the Nordsea ;-))

Unless I misunderstood something, we were comparing area of resort as quoted
in the US with piste miles as quoted in Europe.

It's meaningless to divide the area of a European resort by the average
width of a piste: what does that tell you? In the extreme, imagine an average
piste width of 1 metre, and a resort of area 2 km^2. Does that mean it has
4,000 kilometres [1] of piste?

You need to MULTIPLY the average width of a piste by the total length of
the pistes to get a skiable pisted area.

Or have I assumed wrong, and US resorts' area means pisted area, not
total area within the bounds of the resort?

By the way, "Meter" is something which is used to measure stuff like
electricity or water. I'm talking metres here.

Adrian

[1] 2km^2 = 4 sq km[2]. 1 metre = 0.001 km.
[2] note km^2 and sq km are not the same thing
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.