Old October 22nd 03, 04:34 PM
MoonMan

Default Designer drug doping disaster?

In , pigo typed:
"Inger Skramstad Jørstad" wrote in message
Earlier today, our national media reported of an expected future,
but still rather imminent, huge doping scandal in particularly US
and UK athletics, because new methods of testing have shown clear
presence of a brand

new
designer drug called something like THC or THK in numerous blood

and/or urin
samples taken from especially US athletes during the last Athletics
World Championships earlier this year. But the only individual who
has been named so far, is a very famous UK sprinter, but I do not
remember his name just now. Some say here that this might ultimately
disqualify all US athletes from participating in the Olympic Summer
Games in Athens, Greece, next year. This is of course the "worst
case scenario", and could very likely happen to some UK athletes,
too, obviously.

At least one of the players in the current World Series are scheduled
to testify before some sort of Senate committee about these. They
talked about it a little bit last night. There were something on the
order of 20 players in the 4 major US professional sports set to
testify. They mentioned some from Baseball and Football but I don't
know who.

What's odd is that there have been cases of new drugs, like LSD, that
weren't illegal when they first appeared because they had never been
considered.

Will the Olympic Committee have to make new rules for these drugs and
*make* them illegal or are they already illegal under some sort of
blanket rule?

The drug involved, a steroid, was and is illegal, it was just undetectable
'til very recently.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!