Old January 9th 05, 11:06 PM
Champ

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 11:33:45 -0000, "Séan"
wrote:

Lets be sensible for a moment.....
The potential for serious injury, and I'm talking about to your childs
brain, is greatly increased whilst skiing, unlike walking to the shops!
Its not about 'litigtion' or what she might do to herself, its all the
other idiots skiing on the edge of control and about to lose it at the next
bump in the snow.

We all know that it is folly to let your child ride a bike without a helmet
for the same reason.

Boy this stuff makes me mad!

One of the most important things about skiing/snowboarding is being
out in such a fantastic environment, and experiencing it to the full.
Part of this is being aware of the dangers of the environment, too.

Now, the last thing I want to do is put some glassfibre between me and
that experience. And, as I know very well from riding and racing
motorcycles, putting on a helmet will cause some risk-compensation
behaviour. Far better to teach the kids that skiing is a potentially
dangerous activity, and act accordingly.

And - I really can't understand how generations of kids used to cycle
to school without a helmet (me included), but now "we all know it is
folly to let your child ride a bike without a helmet". I know no such
thing.
--
Champ