Old January 9th 05, 06:56 PM
John Ricketts

Heheheee....

Looks like I started something!

that said, I'm bailing out now.....I'll join the rest of the lemmings and go
(reluctantly) buy a couple of helmets :-(

If you take logic to the ultimate conclusion, why not just ban cycling,
skiing and all other such "dangerous" sports! Just think how many accidents
will be prevented! We could all just partake using virtual headsets! Now
wouldn't that be fun!

Nanny-ism is just going too far. As of January, I can't even change my own
3-pin plugs at home now!

"Steve Haigh" wrote in message
PG wrote:

"Steve Haigh" wrote in message
| snip
|
| Enough!
|
| There's too much of this crap on uk.rec.cycling.

snip

Enough!

If you don't want to talk about it, start a thread of your own about
something else. It's a valid topic, don't read it if you're not
interested. Those of us with kids should consider the implications of
wearing helmets on the slopes, and some of us have studied the issue in
considerable detail.

Just trying to save this group fom the pointless arguments which plague
other groups. It's got nothing to do with having kids (why shouldn't
adults wear them?), or indeed wearing helmets at all, it has got
everything to do with the group decending into a flame war of pointless
drivel which this topic will lead to.

To save you the wait here's the arguments that we'll see:

Helmets work.
No they don't.
Yes they do.
They make you too confident and you'll take more risks.
So why not put spikes on steering wheel to stop drivers being over
confident. etc etc (variations exist on this one, always nice to
spot a new one once in a while).
But you'd slow down if you didn't wear one.
No I wouldn't
Yes you would.
Stats prove it.
No they don't.
I know someone who was wearing a helmet and it got caught on a
t-bar and pulled their head clean off, so helmets are
dangerous.
He/She was an idiot.
Blah
Blah

Eventually someone calls someone else a Nazi and then it starts getting
all personal. Typically these threads extend to a couple if hundred posts
and if you bothered to read them all you'd get to the end and realise you
have learned a sum total of nothing about the topic in question.

Just trying to save you the effort, because before you know it you'll have
wasted hours of you life on this topic. The OP asked what the law was on
kids wearing helmets in Europe, and already we've got references to
childhood obesity and people citing single academic papers as total and
complete proof of their own particlaur view.

But you're right I don't have to read it and I'm not going to. I'll do
what I do on the other group and just kill every thread in my reader that
starts off this way.