Old June 13th 17, 11:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JayPique

Default Old pictures

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 7:00:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 2:03:34 PM UTC-7, wrote:
My father recently passed away. Today I got a box of photos and mementos from the lawyer handling his estate. Included was a picture of my mother on skis, dated 1943.

Digging deeper, I found a photo album that includes pictures of her on skis in 41-42. She graduated from Waterbury Vt High School in 1944. Waterbury is where skiers got off the train if they were going to Stowe, and the town put up a couple of rope tows on local hills to drum up winter business for the tourist hotels.

Those are early days of American skiing - save those pics for sure. (And digitize) My grandparents, who taught me to ski, used to ski regularly in the 40s and my parents both grew up skiing in the 50s. My first runs were at Oak Mountain in Speculator, NY, on wooden skis with steel edges, beartrap bindings and lace up leather boots. Gramps made me sidestep and herring-bone up the hill before he'd let me use the rope tow.

JP