Old January 7th 04, 12:39 AM
James Hart

Default Do you forget how to Ski??

Jim Hutton wrote:
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 09:45:06 -0000, "MoonMan"
wrote:

Chris Wilburn wrote:

My question is do you ever forget how to ski?? Is it like riding
a bike were once you have mastered it you really never forget or
will I have to start from the beginning. I am guessing the answer
will be somewhere in between.

I would suggest spending an hour or so at your local dry slope or
SnowDome/zone. this should at least start to bring your unused skiing
reflexes back. you don't lose them they just have to be used.

From my massive experience of livigno (1 day last year) I would say
you should have a great time.

I would seriously recommend NOT going to the dry-slope (snow dome may
be better, I don't know).

It is the received wisdom that some dry-slope before you go back to
skiing is a good idea, and for years I did this. I found that despite
this it took at least a morning to even feel comfortable on snow, let
alone be back to last year's standard.

I assumed that this was the best I could do, until one year due to
circumstances I couldn't do any dry-slope. The difference was amazing
- I felt at home on the snow immediately, and was skiing with my usual
over-confidence within an hour.

Has anyone else found this ?

I too find it takes a few runs on snow after running on plastic to get a
real 'feel' back but I know I feel a lot more confident after getting a few
hours on plastic under my belt before doing the real thing. I've got no
direct comparison but next weekend about half our group hasn't skiied since
last year whereas the other half will have had a couple of hours on the dry
slope. It will be interesting to see the difference between the 2 groups.

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk