Old January 10th 11, 09:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Adjusting NIS bindings?

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 08:56:15 +0100
Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" wrote:

when I hear about your kick problems, it could be the day's
conditions were simply too warm for kick wax (vs. using klister),
and/or the skis are too stiff, i.e., not flexible enough, for you
to get good purchase. If the latter, I'd take them back. But
first, get more info: visit a real x-c ski shop(s) to get their
opinion.

The real problem is that even if the store had gear to check/test
stiffness vs skier weight, they would almost certainly end up with
far too stiff skis for a purely recreational skier!

It takes _year_ of training to learn the technique required to be
able to ski on "properly fitted" competition classic skis!

How right you are. And it seems to take years of training to come up
with "properly fitted" (soft finishing) competition skis! After 17
years, I recently finally found a pair that actually fits me.
Ironically, they came not from a shop, but from the Madshus factory in
Norway via a former local college team member from there (btw, he still
has a pair of excellent NIS skates, 78-85kg, but they don't come
cheap). The irony is they felt right in my hands, and later on snow,
but on the bench they flexed soft for an 80kg skier, and I haven't come
close to that yet this season.

Gene