SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Which Ski Marathon? (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=25283)

Neil February 22nd 11 12:18 PM

Which Ski Marathon?

Dear All,
I am talking myself into doing a ski marathon. I thought I had outgrown that
stage of my life. I would be interested in trying something like 50K. As a
geriatric non-scandavian the only place I will be competing for is last
place. From what I have heard that you do not necessarily get a good ski on
these races. 700 hundred competitors ahead of you have churned up the snow,
bottlenecks, etc.. Am I correct in thinking this? Could anyone suggest a
race that would be relatively quiet.
Thanks,
Neil

Bob February 24th 11 05:28 PM

Which Ski Marathon?

kskier wrote:
What part of the country are you trying to do this race????

if out west, there's the Gold Rush:
http://www.farwestnordic.org/raceschedule.html
March 20, 2011
Not too large - maybe a couple hundred skiers each for 1, 2, or 3 loops
around a 15k course for the Bronze, Silver or Gold races.

or for a 30k that's much more fun, The Great Ski Race
http://www.thegreatskirace.com/
March 6, 2011
Start near Lake Tahoe and ski to Truckee. Wave starts of 50 (elite) to a
couple of hundred skiers at a time. Big party at the finish. Smaller
parties along the way ;-)

Bob

Neil February 25th 11 09:42 PM

Which Ski Marathon?

Thanks for the suggestions but I live in Europe. One issue is snow. I would
not like to train up for a race in the Jura's or the Czech republic where I
no the snow is not guaranteed.