SkiBanter

-   European Ski Resorts (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Snowboarder Dead :-( (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=7472)

Simon Brown January 10th 05 10:00 AM

Snowboarder Dead :-(

From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a skier in
the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying in the snow
without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was rammed by the skier who
was travelling at a very high speed.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

cupra January 10th 05 10:09 AM

Simon Brown wrote:
From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a
skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying
in the snow without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was
rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very high speed.

I suffered a few near misses from people on the edge of control throughout
the Sella Ronda this Xmas - the chances are slim, but let's hope the culprit
comes forward or is identified.

Simon Brown January 10th 05 10:11 AM

" cupra" wrote in message
Simon Brown wrote:
From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a
skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying
in the snow without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was
rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very high speed.

I suffered a few near misses from people on the edge of control throughout
the Sella Ronda this Xmas - the chances are slim, but let's hope the

culprit
comes forward or is identified.

Maybe there will be more info in the Italian press / websites.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

cupra January 10th 05 10:17 AM

Simon Brown wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
Simon Brown wrote:
From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a
skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying
in the snow without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was
rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very high speed.

I suffered a few near misses from people on the edge of control
throughout the Sella Ronda this Xmas - the chances are slim, but
let's hope the culprit comes forward or is identified.

Maybe there will be more info in the Italian press / websites.

They pretty much say the same, although it appears that there is a good
description of the offender.

Le Dieu January 10th 05 10:18 AM

" cupra" wrote in message
Simon Brown wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
Simon Brown wrote:
From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a
skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying
in the snow without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was
rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very high speed.

I suffered a few near misses from people on the edge of control
throughout the Sella Ronda this Xmas - the chances are slim, but
let's hope the culprit comes forward or is identified.

Maybe there will be more info in the Italian press / websites.

They pretty much say the same, although it appears that there is a good
description of the offender.

I can't believe someone wouldn't stop in those circumstances. They might
have been able to help. At least call for assistance. I hope they find him.

A. D.

cupra January 10th 05 10:26 AM

Le Dieu wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
Simon Brown wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
Simon Brown wrote:
From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

[...]

Yep - at the end of the day, any one of us could be a victim of something
like this.

Ace January 10th 05 10:49 AM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:00:40 +0100, "Simon Brown"
wrote:

From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a skier in
the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying in the snow
without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was rammed by the skier who
was travelling at a very high speed.

I find this a bit like the fairly frequent "biker down" threads on
ukrm. I mean, was it anybody I know, or you know? If not, what's the
big deal? I mean, it's not _that_ unusual an occurence.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)

PG January 10th 05 10:50 AM

" cupra" wrote in message
| Le Dieu wrote:
| " cupra" wrote in message
| Simon Brown wrote:
| " cupra" wrote in message
| Simon Brown wrote:
| From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.
|
| "Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer
| gestorben"
|
| BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with
| skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder
| lying in the snow without offering any assistance. The
| snowboarder was rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very
| high speed.
|
| I suffered a few near misses from people on the edge of control
| throughout the Sella Ronda this Xmas - the chances are slim, but
| let's hope the culprit comes forward or is identified.
|

| Maybe there will be more info in the Italian press / websites.
|
| They pretty much say the same, although it appears that there is a
| good description of the offender.
|

| I can't believe someone wouldn't stop in those circumstances. They
| might have been able to help. At least call for assistance. I hope
| they find him.
|
| Yep - at the end of the day, any one of us could be a victim of
something
| like this.

Would a helmet have helped? Who knows, but if it was a high speed
collision, along the lines of a racing skier hitting a stationary
boarder, it may not have made any difference. The Italians have got a
raft of new laws that affect this sort of incident now, which include
the criminal offence (along the lines of the well-established French
law) of "non-assistance to a person in danger"). Still the maximum
penalties are fines of 1000 euros, if I read the Italian press right.
Hit and runs like this should be punishable by minimum prison terms, if
the skier really was responsible.

Pete

cupra January 10th 05 10:52 AM

wrote:

From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a
skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying
in the snow without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was
rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very high speed.

I find this a bit like the fairly frequent "biker down" threads on
ukrm. I mean, was it anybody I know, or you know? If not, what's the
big deal? I mean, it's not _that_ unusual an occurence.

The day a death on the slopes is treated as 'not a big deal' is the day I
think I'll hang up my boots.....

cupra January 10th 05 10:54 AM

PG wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
Le Dieu wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
Simon Brown wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
Simon Brown wrote:
From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

[...]

You're absolutely right about not knowing the circumstances of the accident
and whether a helmet would have helped - all we know for sure is that the
low life didn't stop to assist.

Le Dieu January 10th 05 10:54 AM

wrote:

From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a skier in
the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying in the snow
without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was rammed by the skier
who
was travelling at a very high speed.

I find this a bit like the fairly frequent "biker down" threads on
ukrm. I mean, was it anybody I know, or you know? If not, what's the
big deal? I mean, it's not _that_ unusual an occurence.

I suppose, like the biker threads, it's a bit like the, 'if not for the
grace of god' thing. I'd just like to think that if somone wiped me out
they'd stop to check if they could do anything to help.

A. D.

Florian Anwander January 10th 05 11:29 AM

Hi cupra

I suffered a few near misses from people on the edge of control throughout
the Sella Ronda this Xmas

I do not really like prejudices, but my experiences with skiing in
italian resorts, which are visited much by it italian skiiers, a If
there is a queue at the lift it is dangerous to ski the piste.
I never had that many really dangerous close-to-accidents with people
who could not ski, but did a race down the piste, while talking to a
mobile phone (or similar nice behaviours...).
New year 2001 in Campitello we decided to do only backcountry tours,
though we had bought four day ressort tickets - the avalanche risk was
not that high as the risk to be injured on the piste.

Florian

Simon Brown January 10th 05 11:31 AM

BTW he died of head injuries, I don't know if he was wearing a helmet.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Simon Brown January 10th 05 11:35 AM

"Ace" wrote in message

I find this a bit like the fairly frequent "biker down" threads on
ukrm. I mean, was it anybody I know, or you know? If not, what's the
big deal? I mean, it's not _that_ unusual an occurence.

Dieing like this is rather unusual I think - at least death through
collision doesn't get reported very much. Also we (I) often rant (used to
rant) about snowboarders.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

cupra January 10th 05 11:49 AM

Simon Brown wrote:
"Ace" wrote in message

I find this a bit like the fairly frequent "biker down" threads on
ukrm. I mean, was it anybody I know, or you know? If not, what's the
big deal? I mean, it's not _that_ unusual an occurence.

Dieing like this is rather unusual I think - at least death through
collision doesn't get reported very much. Also we (I) often rant
(used to rant) about snowboarders.

In my experience, there seems to be an increase in the skill of boarders
over the past 2/3 years (people are actually taking lessons these days). I
rarely see as many Boarder-on-Skier collisions these days as I used to,
whereas the anecdotal evidence of my last trip saw a few Skier-on-Skier and
a couple of Skier-on-Boarder collisions but no Boarder-on-Skier. (this is
not a troll to stoke up the old boarder/skier tensions btw!)

Champ January 10th 05 12:36 PM

wrote:

From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a
skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying
in the snow without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was
rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very high speed.

I find this a bit like the fairly frequent "biker down" threads on
ukrm. I mean, was it anybody I know, or you know? If not, what's the
big deal? I mean, it's not _that_ unusual an occurence.

The day a death on the slopes is treated as 'not a big deal' is the day I
think I'll hang up my boots.....

Do you drive a car?
--
Champ

Champ January 10th 05 12:36 PM

wrote:

From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a skier in
the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying in the snow
without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was rammed by the skier who
was travelling at a very high speed.

He would have been much safer off piste :-)
--
Champ

cupra January 10th 05 12:44 PM

wrote:

From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a
skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder
lying in the snow without offering any assistance. The snowboarder
was rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very high speed.

I find this a bit like the fairly frequent "biker down" threads on
ukrm. I mean, was it anybody I know, or you know? If not, what's the
big deal? I mean, it's not _that_ unusual an occurence.

The day a death on the slopes is treated as 'not a big deal' is the
day I think I'll hang up my boots.....

Do you drive a car?

I do, out of necessity.

John Ricketts January 10th 05 12:59 PM

snip

(this is not a troll to stoke up the old boarder/skier tensions btw!)

As if they needed stoking up! IMHO they'd cut a whole load of accidents by
legislating against snowboarder picnics! It seems as if every corner you go
around there's a half dozen of em spreading the table cloth out! Its
sometimes difficult to jump over them if you're not going fast enough!

On a serious note though... hit-and-run on the piste is completely
unforgiveable but just another sign of the IAJ (I'm Alright Jack) culture of
today. IME some nationalities are more courteous and helpful (Dutch for
instance?) than others. Why is that?

cupra January 10th 05 01:03 PM

John Ricketts wrote:
snip

(this is not a troll to stoke up the old boarder/skier tensions btw!)

As if they needed stoking up! IMHO they'd cut a whole load of
accidents by legislating against snowboarder picnics! It seems as if
every corner you go around there's a half dozen of em spreading the
table cloth out! Its sometimes difficult to jump over them if you're
not going fast enough!

lol

On a serious note though... hit-and-run on the piste is completely
unforgiveable but just another sign of the IAJ (I'm Alright Jack)
culture of today. IME some nationalities are more courteous and
helpful (Dutch for instance?) than others. Why is that?

IME it's down the the individual - I've met some very friendly and helpful
Germans/Italians/French and so on, as well as some downright rude ones!

WeatherCam January 10th 05 04:45 PM

wrote:
He would have been much safer off piste :-)
--
Champ

Didn't even bother posting this in my Les Houches report last week, I
actually forgot - Les Houches was my first "piste" resort holiday for four
years, as all the recent ones have been touring etc - though occassionally
we have to travel through resorts to get a lift etc - anyway I was making
the comment to my wife as to how I hate crowded piste slopes - 45 mins
later, we were going down a blue chemain, and I was ahead, and prior to a
junction in the piste, I went way off to the side and waited for her, then
out of the corner of my eye I saw this skier coming straight at me, at first
I though it was ACE going for me, I tried to move but was not fast enough
and he hit me full on, I went flying and he shot pass me with both skies
coming off etc etc - I went berserk at him, and his mates tried to calm me
down, I was attempting to take my board off and climb back up to grab his
skies and break them, I was so mad when my other half came down, she saw the
whole thing - and then his mates tried to infer that I was going fast, when
I was stationery - anyway, for those that have been away at the busy periods
what you see on the piste is frightening, very much downmarket Frogs in
15year old nylon one pieces that think they can ski - with me it could of so
well ended up with me in hospital, as it was I still have a few bruises on
my back - later on, two of the same group fell off a chair lift as they got
on it - I did try to exact my revenge by coming up alongside him and
shoulder barging him, but my other half was getting mad at my antics plus I
had to wait for her - oh well rant over, but I suppose these things have
happened and will continue to happen, much like driving a car......but it
does have to be said, that I did see more skier related "occurrences" than
boards - mind you at that time of year I'd estimate that it was 80% skiers
in Les Houches - La Tour was more like 70%

Greg Hilton January 10th 05 06:59 PM

anyway I was making the comment to my wife as to how I hate crowded
piste slopes - 45 mins later, we were going down a blue chemain, and I

I remember choosing really cack off piste over piste to avoid various
bottlenecks many times!!

regards,

Greg

WeatherCam January 10th 05 07:26 PM

"Greg Hilton" wrote in message
anyway I was making the comment to my wife as to how I hate crowded
piste slopes - 45 mins later, we were going down a blue chemain, and I

I remember choosing really cack off piste over piste to avoid various
bottlenecks many times!!

regards,

Greg

Actually in hindsight maybe that's what that lunatic was trying to do!!

Steve Haigh January 10th 05 09:16 PM

wrote:

From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a skier in
the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying in the snow
without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was rammed by the skier who
was travelling at a very high speed.

He would have been much safer off piste :-)

No need for the smiley, I think you have a valid point. Sensible
off-piste skiing is, in my opinion, safer than skiing on a piste,
especially if the pistes are crowded and/or icy.

I've had several close shaves on the piste [none my fault] and yet have
never felt in the slightest bit of danger off the piste, mainly because
off piste is usually quieter and skiers/boarders tend to be more
experienced, more respectful of the conditions and of each other and
just plain better behaved.