PDA

View Full Version : MPEG Races: Dusseldorf sprint

Janne G
October 27th 03, 06:40 AM
Are you ready for this? Dusseldorf sprint on snow?
World Cup 2003 sprint in Dusseldorf in VBR ~400kbit quality in DivX
encoding, with audio in 32kbit mono mpeg3 (mp3), Norwegian commentators.

ftp://avari181.mt.luth.se/pub2/Dusseldorf-03/
http://avari181.mt.luth.se/pub2/Dusseldorf-03/
DusseldorfSprintMen1.avi Sprint race
DusseldorfSprintMen2.avi Sprint race
DusseldorfSprintMen3.avi Sprint race
DusseldorfSprintWom1.avi Sprint race
DusseldorfSprintWom2.avi Sprint race
DusseldorfSprintWom3.avi Sprint race
DusseldorfSprintRelayWom1.avi Sprint race
DusseldorfSprintRelayWom2.avi Sprint race
DusseldorfSprintRelayWom3.avi Sprint race
DusseldorfSprintRelayMen1.avi Sprint race
DusseldorfSprintRelayMen2.avi Sprint race
DusseldorfSprintRelayMen3.avi Sprint race
--

Forward in all directions

Janne G

Dell Todd
October 28th 03, 12:25 PM
Thanks Janne. This is a terrific service you provide us. It was crazy
watching those guys sprint in the rain, with green leaves nearby. What
a bizarre venue for a World Cup event.

Laurent Duparchy
October 29th 03, 06:36 AM
Thanks janne.

This Dussseldorf event is not really appealing. The nearby Rhin and
its tons of water passing by is very depressing. Isn't it melted snow
on its long way back to the sea ?

Apart from that, As racers are waiting for the starter, we can easily
check the pole lengths.

Anders Lustig
October 29th 03, 10:05 AM
(Laurent Duparchy) wrote in message >...

> This Dussseldorf event is not really appealing. The nearby Rhin and
> its tons of water passing by is very depressing.

But in principle itīs not at all different from that brook
in Davos - and houss are houses, too:-)

> Isn't it melted snow on its long way back to the sea ?

Yes, but how did the snow get to where the river originates?:-)

Anders

shreddir
October 30th 03, 11:42 AM
I downloaded the smallest avi (women's relay) just to see whether my Core
Media player could play it. I can't hear any audio. I then played it with
my Irfanview graphics viewer which gave me an error message Fourcc saying I
didn't have the correct audio codec. After huniting around the web I found
a diagnostic program called AVIcodec which told me to get a mp3 codec. I
thought all the Divx players already came with this stuff. I downloaded and
installed Radium's mp3 codec. I still don't hear any soundtrack but at
least I don't get the error message in Irfanview. Divx 5.1 player won't
load this avi at all. Neither will my copy of the "Playa".
I can hear another file encoded from Eurosport coverage. Hope I can create
some room on my hard disk so I can download some of the longer segments. I
wish I could afford a decent graphics board so I could watch smooth motion
in a window bigger than 2x2 inches. I guess I can't expect much from a
charity hand-me down Pentium 2 from my brother.

"Janne G" > wrote in message
> Are you ready for this? Dusseldorf sprint on snow?
> World Cup 2003 sprint in Dusseldorf in VBR ~400kbit quality in DivX
> encoding, with audio in 32kbit mono mpeg3 (mp3), Norwegian commentators.
>
> ftp://avari181.mt.luth.se/pub2/Dusseldorf-03/
> http://avari181.mt.luth.se/pub2/Dusseldorf-03/
> DusseldorfSprintMen1.avi Sprint race
> DusseldorfSprintMen2.avi Sprint race
> DusseldorfSprintMen3.avi Sprint race
> DusseldorfSprintWom1.avi Sprint race
> DusseldorfSprintWom2.avi Sprint race
> DusseldorfSprintWom3.avi Sprint race
> DusseldorfSprintRelayWom1.avi Sprint race
> DusseldorfSprintRelayWom2.avi Sprint race
> DusseldorfSprintRelayWom3.avi Sprint race
> DusseldorfSprintRelayMen1.avi Sprint race
> DusseldorfSprintRelayMen2.avi Sprint race
> DusseldorfSprintRelayMen3.avi Sprint race
> --
>
> Forward in all directions
>
> Janne G

Sean
October 30th 03, 04:56 PM
>> downloaded and
>> installed Radium's mp3 codec. I still don't hear any soundtrack but at
>> least I don't get the error message in Irfanview.

> Try this package:
> ftp://avari181.mt.luth.se/pub/Nimo50Build7.exe

I too can't hear any audio on the Dusseldorf races. I've never had any
problem with any of your other files. I have tried the latest version of
divx, the Nimo50Build7.exe you suggested, as well as the 9th version of
the nimo build with no luck. Running AVICodec informs me that an Mpeg-1
Audio Layer 2 is present in the file and that it is supported by an audio
codec which I have installed. But I still don't hear any audio.

The races from the last two years show up as Mpeg-1 layer 3 audio (MP3)
and play fine. Has the audio encoding been changed?

Thanks Janne for continuing to provide this great service for us all!

taywood
November 1st 03, 10:33 AM
Sean wrote:
>>> downloaded and
>>> installed Radium's mp3 codec. I still don't hear any soundtrack
>>> but at least I don't get the error message in Irfanview.
>> Try this package:
>> ftp://avari181.mt.luth.se/pub/Nimo50Build7.exe
> I too can't hear any audio on the Dusseldorf races. I've never had any
> problem with any of your other files. I have tried the latest version
> of divx, the Nimo50Build7.exe you suggested, as well as the 9th
> version of the nimo build with no luck. Running AVICodec informs me
> that an Mpeg-1 Audio Layer 2 is present in the file and that it is
> supported by an audio codec which I have installed. But I still don't
> hear any audio.

I dont hear audio either, I've been waiting to see if you guys
resolved this. I get a good picture in DivX Player and in
Win Med Player but no sound.
I've downloaded the Nimo5.0 Build7, do I need to do something
with this, should I update to Build8?

This summer the PC crashed and I lost everything (my fault, and
whats more I had no external backup so I lost music and vids).
That shows how much technical expertise I have !!
so I need someones help here.
Mike

shreddir
November 2nd 03, 09:26 AM
If you have a cd drive in your PC I suggest you replace it with RW
(rewriteable) cd drive. If you know how to remove machines case cover and
can get at the bay that houses your old read-only drive, you can borrow
books from the local library with titles like " Upgrade your PC for Dummies"
etc. for instructions on how to install. A lot of drives also come with
their own installation instructions. It shouldn't involve any soldering,
only a small screwdriver. That is unless your have some kind of laptop or
notebook. That's a different can of worms. I installed an HP drive which I
got second hand which is actually a piece of junk compared to what you can
get for less the $70 nowadays. It only writes at 8x speed and rewrites
reusable cd disks at 4x. You can find drives at your local Frys (a
California geek retail hang-out) that are at least 5 times faster. With a
700 meg blank CD which cost me about 40 cents apiece in a 50 pack from
Office Depot, I was able to archive the mens 4x10 relays from Val di Fiemme
Worlds and the Norwegian Nationals~ 656 megs.
Hopefully your drive will come bundled with some drive recording software
from popular vendors like Roxio. If you have a recent Mac you can simply
drag and drop files into a folder under Apples I-Tunes software and click
record since it's all integrated with CD RW drives that are standard. I put
up with my junky Windows 98 SE seven year old machine because I got it
passed down to me for free and I can't afford to get new stuff. If you have
Windows XP or can install it I hear its more friendly in dealing with
multimedia peripherals.

If you're really serious about saving all your cool content then the new
class of rewriteable DVD drives are the "fly" gear. You can practically
save a whole FIS seasons worth of Janne's mpegs on a single DVD disk!
That's if you can fork out the cash for the drive and the pricey blank DVDs.
That's in the far-off future for me.
"taywood" > wrote in message
> >> Try this package:
> >> ftp://avari181.mt.luth.se/pub/Nimo50Build7.exe
> > I too can't hear any audio on the Dusseldorf races. I've never had any
> > problem with any of your other files. I have tried the latest version
> > of divx, the Nimo50Build7.exe you suggested, as well as the 9th
> > version of the nimo build with no luck. Running AVICodec informs me
> > that an Mpeg-1 Audio Layer 2 is present in the file and that it is
> > supported by an audio codec which I have installed. But I still don't
> > hear any audio.
>
> I dont hear audio either, I've been waiting to see if you guys
> resolved this. I get a good picture in DivX Player and in
> Win Med Player but no sound.
> I've downloaded the Nimo5.0 Build7, do I need to do something
> with this, should I update to Build8?
>
> This summer the PC crashed and I lost everything (my fault, and
> whats more I had no external backup so I lost music and vids).
> That shows how much technical expertise I have !!
> so I need someones help here.
> Mike

shreddir
November 2nd 03, 09:34 AM
Whoops, I forgot to mention there's whole class of drives that use USB 1
and 2 or even better... Firewire ports. You don't have to take apart your PC
to connect these babies up, but you have to a newer machine than my piece of
junk to already have these connection ports.
"taywood" > wrote in message
> >> Try this package:
> >> ftp://avari181.mt.luth.se/pub/Nimo50Build7.exe
> > I too can't hear any audio on the Dusseldorf races. I've never had any
> > problem with any of your other files. I have tried the latest version
> > of divx, the Nimo50Build7.exe you suggested, as well as the 9th
> > version of the nimo build with no luck. Running AVICodec informs me
> > that an Mpeg-1 Audio Layer 2 is present in the file and that it is
> > supported by an audio codec which I have installed. But I still don't
> > hear any audio.
>
> I dont hear audio either, I've been waiting to see if you guys
> resolved this. I get a good picture in DivX Player and in
> Win Med Player but no sound.
> I've downloaded the Nimo5.0 Build7, do I need to do something
> with this, should I update to Build8?
>
> This summer the PC crashed and I lost everything (my fault, and
> whats more I had no external backup so I lost music and vids).
> That shows how much technical expertise I have !!
> so I need someones help here.
> Mike

John Alexander
November 2nd 03, 07:49 PM
Now that everyone is asking technical questions, is there a way to
seemlessly join together downloads of a particular race. For example
joining all three sections of the men's sprint (that is without super
technical/expensive software)? Currently I have to open each section
to play it.

Sean
November 2nd 03, 11:20 PM
> Now that everyone is asking technical questions, is there a way to
> seemlessly join together downloads of a particular race.

Yes, have a look at http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html With the free
version you can merge multiple files together. Look under "MPEG Tools" on
the main page. Sometimes though it's nice to be able to find sections of
the race separately and it will take a while to merge them as I believe
they are re-encoded.

Sean

Janne G
November 3rd 03, 06:09 AM
I'm sorry to inform you, there aren't any nice Norweigan speaking
on any of this avi's and it's my own fault. I haven't used the system
over the summer and somehow the setup has been f..k up so the audio
was not recorded in the first place. I didn't check the files after
for audio, just video... Sorry nothing to do about this time.

--

Forward in all directions

Janne G

Janne G
November 3rd 03, 07:51 AM
John Alexander wrote:

> Now that everyone is asking technical questions, is there a way to
> seemlessly join together downloads of a particular race. For example
> joining all three sections of the men's sprint (that is without super
> technical/expensive software)? Currently I have to open each section
> to play it.

WinDVD (Windows) can play all sections seamless. You just add which files
you want to play and in which order.

--

Forward in all directions

Janne G

Laurent Duparchy
November 3rd 03, 08:16 AM
I recommend virtualdub. htpp://www.virtualdub.org.

Versatile and excellent freeware tool to work with AVIs, change
compressions, cut, paste, etc..

It allows to watch watch frame by frame with the arrow key.

taywood
November 4th 03, 06:47 PM
"Janne G" > wrote in message
> I'm sorry to inform you, there aren't any nice Norweigan speaking
> on any of this avi's and it's my own fault. I haven't used the system
> over the summer and somehow the setup has been f..k up so the audio
> was not recorded in the first place. I didn't check the files after
> for audio, just video... Sorry nothing to do about this time.

Thanks Janne
I'll stop worrying now.
I thought it was was my re installation that was faulty !!
Mike

Eli Brown
November 6th 03, 03:48 PM
"taywood" > wrote in message >...
> "Janne G" > wrote in message
> > I'm sorry to inform you, there aren't any nice Norweigan speaking
> > on any of this avi's and it's my own fault. I haven't used the system
> > over the summer and somehow the setup has been f..k up so the audio
> > was not recorded in the first place. I didn't check the files after
> > for audio, just video... Sorry nothing to do about this time.
>
> Thanks Janne
> I'll stop worrying now.
> I thought it was was my re installation that was faulty !!
> Mike

SOUND OR NOT thanks again for offering this service Janne. Its invaluable!

Eli Brown
Nordic Race Service Director
Fischer USA

Sean
November 6th 03, 04:51 PM
> SOUND OR NOT thanks again for offering this service Janne. Its
> invaluable!

Agreed! Every time new videos go up I download them, quickly converted
into VCD MPEG format, burn them to CDs, and then gather around our large
screen TV with my housemates to enjoy the latest World Cup action. Your
videos are regularly playing in our house throughout the day. It's almost
like having Eurosport in North America!

The quality transfers amazingly well to a TV!

Thanks Janne!

shreddir
November 16th 03, 08:47 AM
Sean
Could you tell me what software you use to convert? Can I use an ordinary
CD-RW drive to burn? My plan is to borrow a VCD capable DVD player, connect
to a vcr via composite-out jacks and dub to a VHS tape. Is there a
site/newsgroup that has a tutorials or resources on how this is done?
Thanks

ers.com...